December 18th 2015
As you spend the last weekend before Christmas shopping for those last-minute presents, we repeat our advice to exercise care when shopping online, especially if you are panicking about missing out on delivery dates and being disappointed.
So please read our 12 top tips for you to follow while doing your online shopping:
Top tips for safe online shopping
1. Use only reputable shopping sites which you know, or come recommended.
2. Remember that paying by credit card offers greater protection than with other methods.
3. Double check all details of your purchase before confirming payment.
4. Do not act on or reply to unsolicited emails from companies you don’t recognise, don’t click on links or open attachments in such emails.
5. Before entering payment card details on a website, ensure that the page is secure by checking that there is a padlock symbol in the browser window frame, the web address begins with ‘https://’ and the address bar or the name of the site owner turns green.
6. Do not make payment for goods when using an unsecured Wi-Fi connection, including those in public places like cafes, bars and hotel rooms.
7. Choose strong passwords and keep them to yourself.
8. Don’t pay a company or individual not personally known to you by bank transfer, as if it’s a fraud, the bank will not refund your money.
9. Always log out of shopping websites when you have completed your payment.
10. Keep receipts, and check credit card and bank statements
11. Always have effective and updated internet security software loaded and switched on.
12. Make sure new phones, tablets and other connected devices that you buy for yourself or as gifts, are protected by PIN, internet security software and if for children, parental controls.
If you do become a victim of fraud, report it to Action Fraud, the UK’s national fraud reporting centre by calling 0300 123 20 40 or by visiting www.actionfraud.police.uk